Wednesday, November 05, 2008

A new dawn of American leadership is at hand

Election Day began in Arlington at 4:30am. I had spent the night at my parents' house to vote at our precinct in Lyon Village. The Virginia polls opened at 6:00am and I absolutely had to be in DC by 9:00 to meet my colleagues and leave for a meeting in Baltimore. So we were up before the dawn and luckily, before swarms of voters. I hope it neither offends nor surprises anyone that I proudly cast my vote for Senators Barack Obama and Joe Biden as our next President and Vice-President of our country, along with votes to send Rep. Jim Moran and Mark Warner to Congress. Reporters from Good Morning America asked us to describe our feelings after voting in three words. Our picks were "yes, we can!"

After a productive but blessedly short day and making dinner for my housemates, Nicole and I decided that we were going to join the community of Washingtonians. We decided to head north on 14th Street from Emmaus House and check out what looked promising near U Street. After running into several people we know (Allie from Grinnell, the LVC short-term recruiters, and some of Nicole's volunteers), we decided against any of the bars and headed someplace we knew we could sit and get a bite to eat: Ben's Chili Bowl. Ben's is a DC institution: it was one of the few places on U Street (a landmark of DC's African-American heritage) to stay open during the race riots of 1968 following Martin Luther King's assassination. Luckily, last night they had several TVs showing CNN, so Nicole and I had several good heart-to-hearts to kill time as we watched the results pour in. Shortly before 11pm, CNN called Virginia for Obama, and I was ecstatic. I ran outside to call friends, and this is how one conversation went:

Me: I can't believe this! Everyone's going crazy! They're hoking horns in the streets and running around with Americna flags.
Spencer: I know! We are too!
Me: I'm so happy for Virginia! The way people are reacting, you'd think he won the general already!
Spencer: Nora... they did just call the general.
Me: WHAT!?
Spencer: That's why I called you!
Me: I HAVE TO GO RIGHT NOW!

I sat there at Ben's as we watched Obama's acceptance speech in silence and I finally let all the excitement and the brouhaha subside and the fact that Obama will be the man to lead our country sink in. Both McCain and Obama's speeches were heartfelt and moving: I never believed I could feel this inspired by a leader I could call my own, one whose ideals and beliefs are the same as my own. (And to think I can finally call a blue state home!)

Around midnight, Nicole and I decided, as we heard others were doing, to head to the White House - you only live once! In doing so, we had to walk past what I now know is a historic intersection. The 1968 riots began at 14th and U Street once people began to hear the tragic news. Forty years later, people gathered to celebrate, the likes of which I have never seen. I have never seen so many people from all walks of life be so happy: grinning from ear to ear, honking their car horns, playing music with creative percussive instruments, chanting and singing. They had to shut down parts of the street. I liken the scene last night to:
- Bourbon Street/Mardi Gras
- Christmas morning (as though a savior had been born)
- 10/10
- the day the Berlin Wall fell
- New Years' Eve
- the Red Sox winning the World Series/Cal Ripken breaking the home-run record
- a World Cup victory in any country other than ours
- the day Juan Peron was elected president of Argentina
- any general take-to-the-streets pots-and-pans-banging other countries engage in for political events

I had to beg to use a bathroom at HR-57 on 14th and R, but the people working were in too good of a mood to mind. The White House was full of people chanting, singing, taking pictures and running around full of happiness. I regret not bringing my own camera, but the memories are worth it. There's a reason this feels like a new year's celebration, because it is a new era. To bear witness to a moment in history, in which a man whose chances seemed so small and whose message is so hopeful promises change for this nation, truly makes me feel like anything is possible.

I have such high hopes for the next four years and I know they will be long and difficult. But I think last night's results prove that this country is ready for a change, one my generation with the help of our new president will bring about. He's right that it could take 100 years, but someday my grandchildren could see leaders from every possible walk of life and demographic, universal health care, gay rights, fair and humane immigration reform, an end to torture and inhumane detention, renewed credibility in the eyes of the international community, safe and informed reproductive choices for all, increased educational opportunities, a love of volunteer service, and much, much more! In the words of Nelson Mandela, "[Obama's] victory has demonstrated that no person anywhere in the world should not dare to dream of wanting to change the world for a better place." Yes, we can!

Some links I've enjoyed either today or during the campaign:
*"A new era for America:" the absolute best summary I've read that outlines the reasons I support Obama's policies.
*Quotations of international leaders' reactions to Obama's election
*a photographic illustration of Obama's reassurance
*"...to those who are huddled around radios in the forgotten corners of our world...
*Maya Angelou on Barack Obama
*Obama's possible Chief of Staff was the basis for Josh Lyman
*A very honest and insightful article about race relations in Montana.
*Our Town: "Politicians run against it. Tycoons sneer at it. But I'll stick up for Washington."
*A love song for Sarah Palin
*Daughter of slave votes for Obama
*The Sarah Palin pity party
*I Spent Years as a POW with John McCain, and His Finger Should Not Be Near the Red Button
*Podemos Con Obama
*Barack Roll
*Tina Fey as Sarah Palin
*(Placeholder for a video my dad called the most powerful thing he'd seen this entire campaign - a dialogue-free ad that had pictures of home foreclosures and hospital waiting rooms along with a title card reading "It's time for a change.")
*Just Like Me - I hope not
*"Yes We Can" music video
*Rapture in the Streets as Multitudes Cheer Obama and Celebrate America, about DC

"This is our chance to answer that call. This is our moment. This is our time – to put our people back to work and open doors of opportunity for our kids; to restore prosperity and promote the cause of peace; to reclaim the American Dream and reaffirm that fundamental truth – that out of many, we are one; that while we breathe, we hope, and where we are met with cynicism, and doubt, and those who tell us that we can’t, we will respond with that timeless creed that sums up the spirit of a people: Yes, We Can." - President-elect Barack Hussein Obama

No comments: